The Scottish Government is consulting about how best to use its new benefit powers, the consultation is open until 28th October 2016. You can find full information here.
The new benefit powers most likely to affect older people relate to
- Disability related benefits including Personal Independence Payment, Disability Living Allowance and Attendance Allowance
- Cold Weather Payments
- Winter Fuel Payments
- Funeral Payments
The Scottish Government is interested in your opinions on a wide range of issues including:
- Are there any particular words or phrases that should not be used when delivering social security in Scotland?
- Should social security in Scotland make some provision for face to face contact?
- What are your views on what is right and wrong with current disability benefits?
- Are there changes that could be made to disability benefits that would significantly improve equality?
- What do you think should be paid for by a Funeral Payment?
How to get involved
1. You can respond to the full consultation on the Scottish Government’s website here
2. Alternatively we have summarised the questions most likely to affect older people which you can respond to these here. Your comments will inform Age Scotland’s response to the Scottish Government.
3. We are also running a series of consultation events in partnership with Age Scotland member groups across Scotland – see details below.
- Orkney – Age Concern Orkney, Kirkwall – Monday 3rd October (Exact time TBC)
- Bellshill – Orbiston Neighbourhood Centre – Tuesday 4th October 10:00am – 12:15pm
- New Cumnock – Lochside House Hotel – Tuesday 4th October 1pm – 3pm
- Inverness – Merkinch Community Centre – Thursday 6th October 2pm – 3pm (EVENT FULL)
- Glasgow – The Senior Centre, Castlemilk – Thursday 6th Octoiber 10:30am – 12:30pm (EVENT FULL)
- Elgin – Elgin Youth Cafe – Friday 7th October 10am – 2pm
- Grangemouth – Venue TBC – Thursday 13th October – 11:00am – 1:30pm
- Edinburgh – Pilmeny Resource Centre – Thursday 20th October 1:30pm – 3:30pm (EVENT FULL)
- Dundee – Full details TBC
If you would like to attend an event, please contact Helen Simpson at email@example.com or call 0333 32 32 400.
Remember, if you are unable to attend these events, you can still submit direct to the Scottish Government or through our online consultation. We can also mail out a response form to those people who do not have internet access.